Monday, August 4, 2014

A Horse Named Crumble

Photo by Asaiah Brazile
 The first time I went horseback ridding, I spent the entire hour long ride eating the dust of the two horses ahead of me.

My son's horse was much faster and stayed close to our guide's horse. Probably why he was named Swift.

My horse, on the other hand, plodded along at his own pace - slow. I nudged. I prodded. I cajoled. Crumble would speed up for a pinch. Then he slowed back down. Even at a trot, he was much slower than the rest.

Stepping over the uneven terrain, he picked each step with care, testing the ground beneath his hoof before letting it hold all of his weight and mine.

Gradually I released my urge to drive ahead, to rush through the experience. In that moment, I saw the beauty of nature all around me. I saw trees that had survived a wildfire. Their bark altered by the smoke and flames, yet still they thrived. I noticed the little flowers and the brook we crossed. It was a glorious ride.

Sometimes the ride of life is similar. Our impatience with change drives us to try to push through it faster. And we find ourselves frustrated, unable to affect the ultimate pace.
Photo by Asaiah Brazile

In those moments, we can learn from a horse named Crumble.


  1. Be intentional. Change can be tricky. Being sure-footed requires being completely present in the here and now. Take the time to make sure each step is true to you. 
  2. Be patient. I know how hard this one can be. I'm known for my go-go-go, focused, driven nature, which doesn't leave much room for patience. But I'm learning its value. Major life transitions place you squarely in uncharted territory. It takes time to figure things out. To find a way to embrace the change and let it enhance the core of your being. Being patient is one way you can show yourself the love and respect you deserve.
  3. Enjoy the ride. Yes, the path may be rocky and uneven. It may seem to be filled with hurt. But sometimes, if you take the time to look up from the journey, you will find that even though the scenery has changed and every thing is different, there still is beauty.
Someday, the path you're on now will come to an end. You'll find you're not exactly who you were when you started. But you will have survived and even learned to thrive!

#change, #intentionalliving, #patience

No comments:

Post a Comment