Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Guilt and Blame

When things go wrong in my life, I find myself looking for someone to blame. Often this takes place under the guise of determining who should be held accountable, who should accept responsibility for the results. When I find I am to blame, I find myself in the land of guilt, wallowing in the mire of should haves and shouldn't haves. Not much else happens here. Just as I pull one foot out, I lose my balance and tumble back into the muck.

I question the value of guilt and blame and don't see the connection between those two concepts and responsibility. When I accept responsibility for my life, I'm not saying I am to blame for the situations that might at first blush be seen as setbacks or negative events. My focus shifts from whom to blame or how guilty should I feel to how do I want this event to shape my future. I make proactive choices to sculpt the destiny I want.

My life is perfect in its imperfection and every tragedy, every sorrow, every bump and bruise can become a part of the beautiful mosaic that is my life if I so choose.

#guilt, #blame, #responsibility

No comments:

Post a Comment